Birds have so many beautiful colors. Birds watches like to spy upon birds due to those colors. My grandmother had a huge birdhouse in the back of her yard so that she can stand at her back window to watch them. Birds were not the only animal that visited that bird feeder though. Even though birds are awesome creatures to watch, they are among being a pest toward homeowners.
There are bad ideas on why not to feed birds near your home. Birds can settle in an area and become dependent on a feeder but if something happens to the feeder the bird will not survive. Another bad idea is that the feeder can attract unwanted animals. Those animals can attract other animals which can start a chain reaction of unwanted wildlife residing in your home. Once animals know there is abundant food, the animal will build their home nearby which can be your attic or crawlspace. Let me give you a visual... once feed is in the feeder, squirrels can start to appear and since there is a scent of rodents around that will cause snakes to appear. Soon you will learn you have a petting zoo in your own backyard or even residing in your home.
Many people leave birdhouses and bird feeders up through the winter. If there is a
food source, they will stick around that area because the source is plentiful for them. Whether winter or spring, birds build nests together or individually. Home vents, soffits, and chimneys are just biggest areas they like to build their nests which can be costly to repair for the homeowner. Birds will build their nests right in the corner of your gutters which can clog them up so water can not drain correctly away from your home. The damage can cause the gutters to be detached from your home due to the weight or even make them collapse. Structural damage will start and if not caught will start to rot your home over time. Without the use of the draining system, standing water coming from the gutters can cause foundation damage.
Birds can build their nests in your chimney or even the vents on the home. The most popular is the dryer vent. The heat from the dryer keeps their laid eggs warm; however, the nests are very flammable which can cause a house fire. Chimneys that have bird's nest built inside them can cause carbon monoxide inside your home and without the proper ventilation systems could be life threatening.
Not only do birds cause damage, but their droppings can be found all over porches, decks, and any other area they reside or fly over. Their droppings can contribute to many diseases and can contaminate food supplies such as vegetable gardens. The droppings from birds are very acidic which can eat away at certain roof materials which can cause them to leak.